Popular Girl: Joy Corrigan
Jul 15, 2020
All hail blonde goddess, Joy Corrigan.
The now Los Angeles based model originally grew up on a farm in North Carolina, but it wasn’t until her move to Miami where she officially started to work. Now, popular brands and fashion designers such as Guess, Urban Decay, Frankie’s Bikinis, Roberto Cavalli and Vivienne Westwood have all at one point, graced the presence of Joy.
Her love for animals and fashion led her and her sister, Gina [Corrigan] Smith to create NAKED SPECIES, a clothing brand that offers everyday basics with a modern twist to street style, Naked Species infuses art and awareness into every piece, making “Basics” not so basic. The two have always had a passion for art, fashion and protecting the many creatures that coexists on the planet. Naked Species combines their passions for an important purpose.
As part of the commitment to end the extinction of endangered species, 10% of the proceeds from sales is donated to the Wild Tomorrow Fund (a non-profit organization dedicated to the protection of threatened and endangered species and the habitats they depend on for survival). Joy has personally designed each piece with her style and art, so everyone who wears these pieces can proudly display their support for endangered species.
1. How did your clothing brand ‘Naked Species’ come about?
I always have had a passion for helping save the endangered species. My sister Gina and I started Naked Species at the end of 2019, and we really wanted to put a focus on making edgy fashion for a great cause.
I’ve also always loved fashion, and I have a passion for creating and designing; as a child, I would spend countless hours sketching designs and creating paintings. When I started modeling, I was so inspired by the designers I worked with that I decided to finally start my own clothing brand.
When I was trying to come up with the brand, I wanted to make sure that I did something good for the animals and plants that were the most endangered. I chose to name the brand “Naked Species” and to make sure that my brand would showcase my creative style. Most of all, that it would help end the extinction of the many endangered species around the world.
2. What has been your favorite part about creating pieces for the line?
I love to use my creativity and incorporate my personal style into every piece. On my days off you will find me in a Naked Species hoodie and boy shorts. It’s so much fun to make pieces that I love to actually wear every day! I also enjoy showcasing a lifestyle of the hottest trends and incorporating the most endangered species. For example, our “Be Fruitful Rhino Hoodie” has my artwork of two rhino species procreating.
3. What brought you to donate a portion of sales to charities that support endangered species?
I’m so blessed to have the platform and be able to reach so many people! With that, I feel an even bigger responsibility to use my voice for good. I want to wake up every morning and feel like I am doing something great for this world. Having an enormous passion for saving the endangered species, it just felt right to donate 10% to Wild Tomorrow Fund.
Wild Tomorrow Fund is an amazing charity we have partnered up with. They are actively working hard in the field to put a stop to poachers and helping to train the locals on maintaining these efforts. They are even buying land for rhinos and elephants to run free without risk!
4. How did you enter the modeling world?
I was first scouted when I was 16 in the local shopping mall. I then fell in love with the challenging industry and the rewarding outcome of so many of my shoots, runways, and crazy travels. I knew I had to have tough skin, but I never realized how much goes into producing a campaign. Not only have I learned an incredible amount along the way, but I’ve also had the chance to travel and live all over the world. Best of all, I had the opportunity to make so many lifelong friendships.
5. You’ve worked for huge brands like Guess, Urban Decay, and Vivienne Westwood, which has been your favorite thus far?
With every brand I shoot for, I meet and work with a team of interesting, diverse, and amazing people. Every person, from the makeup artist to the photographer and to the photo assistant, has a unique impact on me, and that connection is priceless. I really have met most of my favorite people on set, making it really hard for me to pinpoint a specific brand.
6. Is there a brand(s) you want to work with in the future? If so, why?
I have always wanted to work with Honest Beauty. Jessica Alba has done an amazing job at creating a product that is clean and healthy for your skin, and actually works great!
7. You’ve also dabbled in acting! Tell us about some of the roles you’ve played?
Yes, acting is my passion! I started taking acting classes years ago, and I have landed a few small roles over the past few years. Reprisal with Bruce Willis, and Aftermath with Arnold Schwarzenegger were my favorite. I hope you guys see me more this year since I’ve been focusing most of my time on acting!
8. What is something you didn’t know about acting before you started?
I didn’t know you were not supposed to look right at the camera, as a model you constantly are told to look straight into the camera. Also, I learned that one scene can sometimes take hours or even days to shoot since they have to shoot over and over again from all different angles.
9. What would be your dream role?
My dream role would be to star in a Superhero movie. I did karate for 8 years growing up, and I’m a Black Belt in Tang Soo Do. I would love to be able to incorporate those moves to fight off the bad guys!
10. We’re all trying to stay healthy during the quarantine. What are some tips you could give to anyone having a hard time?
My top tips are:
- Drink a huge glass of water with chlorophyll when I wake up and try to stay hydrated all day by drinking water with lemon and ginger.
- Eat 70 percent fruits and veggies, 30 percent proteins/fats/carbs.
- Try to move as much as possible. I’ve been doing 20 min workouts 3+ times a day, instead of one hard work out.
11. Have your cheat days for food changed since going into quarantine?
My cheat day foods have slightly changed from the typical New York-style pizza I get from Gina’s Pizza to the frozen pizza from Whole Foods! One cheat food that hasn’t changed is Stracciatella gelato, topped with Swedish fish, and crumbled Oreo!
12. What are some of your favorite workout routines? Have you picked any new ones out during this time?
I’ve been trying new at-home workouts every day with the Alo Moves app. My new favorite class to take is the Morning Sunrise by Naya Rappaport.
13. Is there any advice you would give to anyone starting out their modeling/acting career?
Whatever you do, don’t give up! When I first started modeling, I faced so much rejection, hardships, and people who told me I wouldn’t make it, and that I should stop trying and find a different career. Always believe in yourself, stay strong, and most of all, believe in yourself.
14. What are some of the top beauty and/or fashion brands you shop from?
Top beauty brands:
- Tarte Cosmetics
- Priori Skin Care
- Loving Tan
- Hourglass Cosmetics
Top Fashion Brands:
- Mimi The Label
- Alo Yoga
- Jimmy Choo
- Tom Ford
15. What are you most looking forward to this year (besides finally leaving your house)?
I can’t wait to travel again! I really want to travel to Argentina and visit my family. Also, I’ve always wanted to go on a yoga retreat in Bali!
16. What does popular mean to you?
Popular is the most wanted item or person at the time!
17. What other upcoming projects can you tell us about?
I can’t wait to show you guys Naked Species’ next collection! So, stay tuned for our next drop
- Photography Caleb & Gladys