Popular Guy: Conor Husting
Apr 20, 2020
Meet Conor Husting, one of the stars on Netflix’s new hit series “The Expanding Universe of Ashley Garcia” and Tanner in Prince of Peoria! In TEUAG, Conor plays ‘Tad’ – a football player from the high school team managed by her uncle Victor, one of Ashley’s good friends, and possibly a love interest for more than one character *cough cough* (We won’t spoil anything, but we’ve seen it twice!)
Keep reading to find out his go-to quarantine snack, his character, and his experience in Times Square!
1. Tell us about your character Tad and The Expanding Universe of Ashley Garcia?
Tad is impulsive and optimistic, usually functioning at high speeds. I like to think those traits are what makes Tad such a valuable friend. He’s always encouraging Ashley to follow her heart and egging Stick to be more outgoing.
2. In the show you are a football player and get to experience things like school dances and hanging out with teammates. How close to the show was your own high school experience?
Tad’s high school experience could not have been more different from mine. I didn’t play football and didn’t even go to my senior prom.
3. How did you find out that you got the role of Tad and what was the audition process like?
My first audition for the show went very poorly, but for some reason, they called me back to audition again. I did better but still wasn’t very good. I don’t think they were going to invite me back to try again, but Robert Prinz told them to bring me in one more time (we had worked together in the past), and after some discussion about the character it just clicked. I went on to do a chemistry read with Paulina and Reed and the rest is history.
4. What have you learned from being on this show?
Working on the show was a fantastic learning experience. I learned a whole lot from working with talented directors and writers and acting alongside my talented castmates. I even received advice from Jen Carlos on being in the public eye.
5. Being from California, do you think that played a role in wanting to pursue a career in the arts?
I would never have gotten into acting if it wasn’t for living in LA. The opportunity became available, and I grabbed ahold of it.
6. If you weren’t acting what would you be doing right now?
If I weren’t acting, I’d probably be in college.
7. You were on a billboard in Times Square?! What was that feeling like?
It was very surreal. I don’t think it’s even hit me yet. I still don’t quite believe it’s something that happened.
8. There are so many new Latinx shows on Netflix now! How does it feel to be apart of that? Which ones are you currently watching?
It’s incredibly empowering and makes me feel extremely proud of my heritage. ‘On My Block’ is definitely my current favorite. Lauren Lungerich is a queen.
9. We heard you have a lot of Lorde in your music. What are your favorite songs of hers?
Hahaha, I don’t listen to a lot of Lorde. That was a bit of a joke. However, she does have a lot of bops, and when they come on, I let them play.
10. What has been your go-to quarantine snack?
11. What is your dream?
My dream is to continue doing what I love to do, which is being able to create for a living.
12. What character, real or imagined, would you love to play?
I would love to play any character that I haven’t yet played. I hope to get the chance to play a very diverse set of characters.
13. Can you tell us a secret?
It wouldn’t be a secret if I told you.
14. What does Popular mean to you?
In my opinion, popular means something that is liked by the general population.
You can follow his ‘expanding universe’ on Instagram @conorhusting and keep up with ‘Tad’ on “The Expanding Universe of Ashley Garcia” now on Netflix!
(Go on… it’s clickable)
- Photographer Storm Santos