21 Questions: Eden xo
Sep 23, 2015
Recording Artist Eden xo as most of you know from her hit single, “The Weekend” (just hit 4 million plays) just followed up with her second single, “Hold me Now” featured on the much anticipated debut episode of “Scream Queens” last night on FOX. With stylist to the stars, Johnny Wujek, in her corner creatively molding her look along the way it’s only a matter of time before Eden xo has us all under her spell.
1. What gets you up in the morning? My dog, literally. She wakes me up with the sweetest little puppy kisses. I like taking her on walks and just being with her for a moment, no cell phone… just clearing my head to start my day. It’s very therapeutic to see the world through an innocent animals’ eyes, makes you appreciate little things like fresh blooming flowers or rainfall.
2. What’s your personal life philosophy? I’ve always said that you can’t hold back a dreamer… it’s an old lyric of mine, and while I still find that to be true I also think we struggle as artists and people between a good, spiritual world of light, and an evil, material world of darkness. Dreams can get mixed up in the process. I believe now more than ever in only doing the things that bring you joy and lightness. I’ve grown a lot even just this past year and different things matter to me now than before. Love is the most powerful force in the world.
3. Your biggest virtue? “Firmitas”…. which is Roman for tenacity and strength of mind. To possess the ability to stick to one’s purpose at hand without wavering, I strive to keep this virtue alive inside of me every day.
4. Your biggest vice? I’m not claiming to be a saint but I really don’t think I have any vices; at least not by definition. I LIKE things that aren’t necessarily good for you, I like to drink Scotch as though I’m an accomplished business man hanging out in my library, but I could easily never take another sip. I LIKE to have kinky sex, but I love my man for his soul… Nothing really has control over me like that.
5. Do you have a party trick? You mean like tie a cherry stem into a knot with my tongue or something? I wish I was that talented. For some strange reason I do know how to make a balloon animal in the shape of a poodle… don’t ask me why.
6. How would you describe your style? My style icons are Marilyn, Madonna, Debbie, Gwen… all the blondes. They’re all so effortlessly chic. I get ideas from them and then make them my own. The internet is wonderful for that, you can go digging through a digital closet and borrow looks from your famous big sisters you never had.
7. What would constitute a perfect day for you? Breakfast with my love, then dash off to the studio where I write and record a new song in an hour that I perform later that same night for my fans. After that we’d have an after party where I could hang out with all my friends. Come home and snuggle my dog. That would be a perfect day.
8. Knowing what you know today, what advice would you give your younger self? Know your self worth.
9. What would your very last meal entail? Persian cherry rice, with fessenjoon (it’s a Persian stew made of pomegranate and walnuts) on top. And a Coke with lime to drink.
10. Three people—dead or alive, real or fictional—that you’d like to invite to dinner? Voltaire. Beatrix Kiddo. Jimmy Iovine.
11. If you were a song, which one would you be? I am so many songs because I am in my own songs that I’ve written. My DNA is sprinkled throughout my work. If I was a song by another artist I would be “Blackbird” by The Beatles.
12. If a movie were made about you, who would play you? Some girl in her bedroom who’s 3 or 4 years old right now and already knows she wants to be an actress one day.
13. Turn ons? Punctuality, tattoos, creativity, laughter.
14. Turn offs? Selfishness, slobs, people who don’t like animals.
15. Your spirit animal? It’s funny you should ask because I took a quiz about this just the other day and it said my spirit animal was a cat- that I was independent and curious and often drawn to darkness wanting to uncover what hides within the unknown… haha, pretty accurate I guess.
16. Your favorite flower? I love roses and peonies, I also love sunflowers.
17. Tell us a secret. Sometimes I ask for a water cup at restaurants with every intention of filling it up with soda.
18. Your favorite quote? I hate this question… Mostly because it’s like asking someone what their all time favorite song is? Like, how do you choose just one?
19. What is your current state of mind? I’ve got the eye of the tiger right now. It’s kill or be killed. I’m posted up on Pride Rock looking down at the jungle and I’m scheming.
20. An embarrassing moment? I have those all the time, especially in the studio because you’re the most vulnerable and often it’s in front of people you barely know or just met even. I wrote a song two days ago and I wanted to lay these sort of like sexy moans underneath as a vocal effect and I’m sitting there doing them with the engineer like “this is so fucking weird” haha, but then you just laugh it off.
21. Your proudest moment? Right now. Me today. I’ve been knocked off my horse so many times, and with all the drama I went through with my record company this year and how deeply they burned me I could have just quit music. But I’m a fighter and I’m back in the ring and I’m not stopping until I get that belt. I’m proud of myself because I could be bitter, I could be angry, but I feel neither of those things. I feel blessed that the universe has something bigger in store for me and I think it’s just around the corner.