21 QUESTIONS: EMILY VAUGHN
Sep 1, 2015
A little birdie told us songstress Emily Vaughn is about to blow up. The indie-electropop gal who looks a bit like Ryn Weaver, just released breakup single “Better Off,” and it’s already flying high on Spotify’s Viral 50. Vaughn will release a full EP this fall, but be on the lookout for a few more singles to come out in the meantime. Get to know the Florida native below—she was such a sport about playing 21 Questions with us.
1. What gets you up in the morning? Coffee, coffee, and more coffee. Just kidding. Sort of. After that necessary part of my morning, I live each day as though it’s my last. I can’t stress enough how important it is to do what you love with who you love, and to do it well. Tomorrow isn’t promised, so I try to focus less on the stress of everyday life and instead, shift my perspective to overcoming and growing continually.
2. What’s your personal life philosophy? After years of searching, I’ve simplified my philosophy to showing love to as many people that I can possibly encounter in my lifetime.
3. Your biggest virtue? I believe my purpose in life is to share love with others. I want to look back on my life knowing that I have made a difference in this world, and helped people along their own journey as I’m making my way down my own.
4. What’s your biggest vice? Does my coffee addiction count?
5. Do you have a party trick? I try to be fully engaged with everyone I meet regardless of where I am. I like addressing people by their names even if they are strangers, and always holding eye contact with others when they speak. It’s important to let others know you’re interested in what they have to say whilst making new friends or reconnecting with old ones, and sometimes your body language can speak louder than words!
6. How would you describe your style? My style varies from sundresses, high waisted skirts and boots with ruffle socks, a lot of black and a LOT of denim. I’d like to think if Kelly Kapowski was alive in 2015, she’d dress something like me.
7. What would constitute a perfect day for you? I’ve experienced quite a few “perfect” days, but each of them look very different. To me, doing anything with a positive mindset can be translated as a perfect day- but when it comes down to it it’s all about perspective. Doing what I love, with and around people that I love is a perfect day for me.
8. Knowing what you know today, what advice would you give your younger self? I would tell myself not to worry about people that disagree with my passions or add unnecessary negativity to them. I’d tell myself to focus fully on my goals, and loving myself and others. I’d also tell myself not to get too worked up over having a broken heart because time heals, and in the end I’m a stronger, self sufficient woman that knows how to focus on growth and health because of it.
9. What would your very last meal entail? Last meal and every meal ever: tacos and lots of chips and queso.
10. Three people—dead or alive, real or fictional—that you’d like to invite to dinner? There are so many individuals that I admire that I would love to pick their brains if given the opportunity- but bringing fictional characters to life is just to enticing to pass up. I’m thinking Peter Pan, Tinker Bell & Walt Disney. I mean, dinner in Neverland? Come on.
11. If you were a song, which one would you be? “Making My Dreams” – Hall & Oates. (Or at least that’s what I’d like to think).
12. If a movie were made about you, who would play you? I want to say Emma Watson, because I truly think she’s the most beautiful, talented, and inspirational woman. But I’m hardly in the place to give Emma Watson the role of my life- that’d be an honor I don’t even deserve? If anything, I want to emulate her role as a woman making a difference in our generation.
13. Turn ons? Confidence, kindness, selflessness, the ability to hold an intellectual conversation, self motivation, oh and curly hair and a sense of style..definitely a plus.
14. Turn offs? Sexism, cockiness, small talk.
15. Your spirit animal? A puppy. Obviously.
16. Your favorite flower? I can’t help but say sunflowers. Sunshine in a flower. Is there anything better?
17. Tell us a secret. I don’t condone this behavior, but I once (okay, maybe twice) filled my water cup with lemonade at Chipotle.
18. Your favorite quote? “Wherever you stand, be the soul of that place.” – Rumi
19. What is your current state of mind? Grateful.
20. An embarrassing moment? Growing up, I was always in school plays- choir, drama, (etc.) Anyways, in the fourth grade I had a solo in a school play that I was so excited about and had been practicing for weeks. I was in the choir and was supposed to walk up to the mic before my solo, but somehow I completely forgot. Half way through standing in the choir while an empty track played, I came back to earth and realized I was supposed to be at the mic singing my solo. I quickly ran out of the choir and out onto the stage, tripped on my way out, showed up at the mic with 5 seconds left of the phrase to sing- but sang it like hell.
21. Your proudest moment? I don’t know if I could choose one moment as my proudest moment. I believe pride comes from within. You could be the most successful person in the world and look back on your life with regret. I think the most important thing is to indulge yourself so deeply in your passion that you can’t tell the difference between your wildest dreams and reality.