21 QUESTIONS: PARTY NAILS
Nov 27, 2015
You may have missed Party Nails’ strong debut “Break” earlier this fall, but it it’s easily one of the most underrated pop tracks of 2015. The LA via New York singer—whose real name is Elana Belle Carroll—came up with her moniker watching girls pre-game a party by painting their nails (because, who doesn’t do this before a night out)? Though Party Nails grew up singing Americana and rock tunes, she sonically transitioned into the pop game. With two singles under her belt, and comparisons to Carly Rae Jepsen following her around, we had Party Nails play our favorite “get to know you” game.
1. What gets you up in the morning? I sleepily look at my phone, and there’s usually a really sweet text from my Grandma or my bestie (they are on the East Coast so 3 hours ahead). It makes me laugh and start waking up. But sometimes I just fall back to sleep with a smile on my face.
2. What’s your personal life philosophy? Don’t be a dick.
3. Your biggest virtue? Listening.
4. Your biggest vice? Robyn on repeat in the car.
5. Do you have a party trick? I can do the peanuts dance to almost any song you put on.
6. How would you describe your style? Xtra-girly with a grungy edge.
7. What would constitute a perfect day for you? Writing a song I like, and/or getting to laugh as hard as I can.
8. Knowing what you know today, what advice would you give your younger self? Nothing follows the path you might think it “should” and that’s totally OK! The best thing you can do for yourself and the people around you is to hone your confidence and be a lover (not a hater)!
9. What would your very last meal entail? In-N-Out Double Double with everything, chocolate and vanilla milkshake, fries and ketchup.
10. Three people—dead or alive, real or fictional—that you’d like to invite to dinner? Edward from Cowboy Bebop, Ilana Glazer and Abbi Jacobson from Broad City (their characters, not themselves).
11. If you were a song, which one would you be? “Blue Monday” by New Order.
12. If a movie were made about you, who would play you? Amanda Bynes.
13. Turn ons? Fearless sense of humor.
14. Turn offs? Reckless anger.
15. Your spirit animal? Parasaurolophus.
16. Your favorite flower? Tigerlilies and dandelions.
17. Tell us a secret. The first tattoo I ever wanted was a princess in a pink dress across my entire back. I was 5. And 100% confident that I’d want it forever.
18. Your favorite quote? He who angers you owns you.
19. What is your current state of mind? Party on, Wanye!
20. An embarrassing moment? When I call someone by the wrong name, even though I really want to be their friend.
21. Your proudest moment? My brother Marley is 2 years younger than me. I always wanted to be a “good” big sister to him. When we were teenagers, he was mistakenly chased by the cops in our hometown (they thought he was someone else) and was totally terrified when he saw they had a gun out and pointed in his direction. When he got home that night, he just wanted to hug me for a while. I was glad he was safe, and proud that I could be a source of comfort to him.