#PopularPlay: Cody Lovaas
Aug 6, 2020
Cody Lovaas is a Californian singer-songwriter who grounds his simple and confessional lyrics in soulful vocals, melodic acoustic performances, and smooth pop production. Lovaas plays with the boundaries of pop, acoustic, and electronic music, crafting a variant that retains pop’s effortless melodies while exchanging the genre’s cosmetic compositions for sincere and wistful love stories.
The third track on his EP ‘Be Here’ pulls you into the reality of the now as he paints a vivid picture of getting lost in his own mind.
“Social media keeps us connected to the things we sometimes don’t want to hear about anymore.” says the artist. “You can see all the moments that are being lived without you and all the photos you should have been in the background of. It’s mostly just noise, but it’s always loud.”
PopularTV chatted with Cody to talk about his new EP ‘Pull Out Couch’, his life mantra and a few of his musical inspirations. Keep reading for our interview as well as checkout his Acoustic Sessions for ‘Be Here’ right now.
1. Your story actually starts with Jason Mraz! Tell us about that story!
Yes! I was just a wide-eyed and lucky thirteen year old who went to an open mic in San Diego to share some music. After I played a couple songs, Jason told me he loved the music and wanted to mentor me. Such a crazy experience to look back on, but I’m so grateful for it. He really gave me a sort of self confidence that helped me seriously pursue my passion.
2. How do you think being a native Californian has influenced your music style?
I think living in Los Angeles has had a super significant influence on my music. There are just so many incredibly talented humans who have moved here to put their everything into what they love… and I really respect that.
3. You’ve written hundreds of songs during your career. How do you feel like your writing and creativity has changed since the start of your career?
I hope my music continues to evolve over time, but I wouldn’t say I’m super far off from the music I was making when I started writing either. I’ve always naturally really loved acoustic, pop, singer/songwriter music.
4. What is your life mantra?
Be nice to people and have fun :)
5. All of the promos for your EP release are hilarious! Where did the idea for these come from and where did you shoot?
Thank you! Sam Fisher helped me create all of these. We just really have a similar sense of humor and wanted to have fun with it… I’ve always hated self promotion, so we’re just kind of making fun of it entirely.
6. Speaking of your new EP ‘Pull Out Couch’, where did the idea for the title come about?
All the songs on the EP were written when I had first moved to LA, living on my manager’s Pull Out Couch.
7. The second track on the EP features ROZES! How did this collab come about?
I had been wanting to work with ROZES for a while so I’m super happy we were able to get in touch and work together. She’s such a sweet human and obviously, an incredible artist. She is exactly what I had envisioned for “OH NO!”
8. You have an amazing talent for creating alluring love songs. Do you have any specific inspirations?
Thank you! There are too many artists that I’m inspired by… John Mayer, The 1975, Mac Miller, Anderson .Paak, I could go on and on.
9. What were you doing prior to this interview?
I was actually trying to tune my guitar up a full step because I lost my capo, but ended up breaking one of my strings :(((( lol
Connect with Cody:
Instagram – http://instagram.com/codylovaas
Twitter – http://twitter.com/codylovaas
Facebook – http://facebook.com/codylovaas