Sound Off: Emily Vu
Jun 29, 2020
For some of us, the weekend can’t come soon enough. It’s a time to spend with our friends, family, and S.O.’s, but according to Emily Vu, some may not last that long. The new single from the artist talks about a fleeting love co-produced by multi-platinum producer Sir Nolan and Andrew Schmidt aka SZNS. Opening with a melodic guitar riff it’s hard to believe the artist has only been playing and creating music for the past few years.
The SoCal native is only 18 and yet has already amassed a huge fanbase across Instagram and TikTok while she continues to rack up hundreds of thousands of streams on Spotify with her signature low-key voice and SoCal vibes.
At such a young age Emily has somehow captured that ‘modern loneliness’ that artists like Lauv, Olivia O’Brien, and Halsey are known for and has put her own sonic twist to. Keep ready to learn more about her new single, her first song, and upcoming plans!
1. Tell us about your new single, ‘WEEKEND,’ and how this song came to be.
I was in a session with my producer friend, SZNS, just going through YouTube beats for inspiration. We came across a really pretty guitar beat and decided to start playing around to recreate it in our own way. At the time I was going through a little bit of a heartbreak, so writing the lyrics came fairly easy.
2. You have huge audiences across all social media platforms. What do you love most about your fanbase?
The thing I love most about my fanbase is that it feels like a family. During quarantine I’ve been able to go live and interact with my fans a lot more than ever before. I feel like we’ve all grown a tight knit bond with each other.
3. Who or what initially inspired you to pursue a career in music?
I’ve always been interested in music but I thought it would just be a hobby of mine. It wasn’t until my junior year of high school when I realized I didn’t know what I wanted to do with my life… but what I did know was that I didn’t want to be sitting behind a desk working a 9-5 everyday.
4. You feature a bevy of acoustic covers on your social media accounts. What is your all-time favorite song to cover? What song do you plan on covering next?
My favorite song to cover is “I Want You Back” by The Jackson 5. I honestly don’t know which song I’m going to cover next, but I can assure you it’ll be a good one!
5. Tell us something most people don’t know about you.
I think most people don’t know that I’m a very civil person — I avoid conflicts and hate getting into arguments. I never yell. Sometimes I may scold someone who has upset me, but I’ll hardly ever raise my voice.
6. What hopes do you have for your music career within the next five years?
I’d love to be on a world tour in 5 years. There is nothing better than performing for hundreds of people.
7. What was the first song / lyric you ever wrote?
The first song I ever wrote was actually my first single, “What Happened, Happened.”
8. You are absolutely killing it on TikTok. What has been your favorite trend on the platform?
There are so many different TikTok trends to choose from! I think that the cute dancing trends are my favorite — they’re just so fun to do!
9. Describe your ~aesthetic~ in 3 words.
Clean, simple, grayscale.
10. What city/venue are you most looking forward to performing in? Why?
I’m most excited to perform in Orange County, CA. It’s my hometown and it’s where a lot of my fans are based!
11. As someone in Gen Z, what are you tired of hearing?
As someone who is a part of Gen Z, I’m tired of hearing how horrible and stupid we are. I think that Gen Z is actually one of the most advanced and intelligent generations we’ve ever seen. We’ve already been through so much that has forced us to mature quickly at a young age. We’ll definitely impress people in the future!
12. What is a question you wish you got asked more?
I wish that people would ask me more personal questions! I don’t mind getting personal as I think it’s an easy way to get to know me on a different level and as a person.
13. Tell us a secret?
Is it really a secret anymore if I tell you…? Just kidding! I used to have a huge crush on one of my high school teachers! Oh, how I miss high school!
14. What does popular mean to you?
Popular to me means having a platform and being well-known. Popularity can be used negatively or positively though, and sometimes you can be popular for the wrong reasons!
15. Do you have any future plans or upcoming projects?
My goal is to release an EP before the end of the year. My 2020 will be complete once I release a full-length project!