Sound Off: Payton Moormeier
Jun 11, 2020
Teenage singer, songwriter, guitarist, and viral creator Payton Moormeier recently released the music video for his debut single “Love Letter”. Now LA based, it’s hard to imagine the young singer is southern raised having been born in Georgia and raised in North Carolina. From his early days of discovering Metallica to now over a decade later expanding on his influences to include modern stars like Post Malone and blackbear, the singers style is made up of airy guitar, hip-hop, and lyrical vulnerability.
While “Love Letter” may be his debut, the singer is not unfamiliar with racking up millions of views due to his voice. When Payton was only 12 he generated nearly 1 million views from a cover of Justin Bieber’s “Love Yourself“. This would not be the end of his viral or meteoric rise as another cover of his to Halsey’s “Without Me” took off in 2018! To date, the singer has over 12MM fans on TikTok, nearly 580MM Likes, and billions of views and impressions not to mention his minor following of 4MM on Instagram. Not too bad for his debut release.
Keep reading to learn more about his inspirations for “Love Letter”, teaching himself guitar, and his favorite song to cover!
1. Tell us the inspiration behind your new song “Love Letter”.
“Love Letter” came from a relationship I was in which ended out of nowhere and left me with a lot of feelings & no closure. I took all those feelings and turned it into “Love Letter” :)
2. How did you come up with the music video idea?
The music video was a very random thing! We had all this footage from one of the days in the studio and decided to make a “Behind the Scenes” type video.
3. You are one of the biggest stars on TikTok right now. How did this happen?
My home town friends got me into Tik Tok and then I had a couple of videos get a lot of love and it just kept growing from there.
4. What is the secret behind a good TikTok!
That’s the great thing about Tik Tok, there’s no secret just get on there and have fun. Make whatever you want!
5. Do you have a favorite TikTok trend right now?
Not at the moment, no, I don’t really take part in all the dance trends and stuff.
6. You started your career so young! Do you have any advice for those who are willing to start their career or dream about it?
Yes! The biggest thing that held me back was my confidence in myself as a creator, so my biggest advice is don’t overthink it. Follow your dreams, get the right people around you who are going to support the hell out of you no matter what and take over the world from there.
7. You taught yourself to play guitar Was that hard? What is the next instrument you’re looking to learn?
I taught myself guitar when I was 9 so the only real problem I had was my hands being too small to play some chords. Right now, I’m trying to learn bass.
8. You are an artist full of different influences. Who are your biggest inspirations in music?
Post Malone & blackbear
9. You generated nearly 1 million views on a cover of Justin Bieber’s Love Yourself. What was your reaction when you saw that?
It definitely made me happy. I don’t remember how old I was at the time but never would I have thought me sitting on my bed playing guitar would be seen by 1M+ people.
10. Ok, talking about covers: Do you have a favorite song to do a cover, besides this one?
I would love to do a cover to “Me & Your Ghost” by blackbear.
11. Can you tell us a secret? Something cool that your fans (and us) would die to know!
Well, I’ve got 3 new singles on the way :)
12. If you could work with any artist, dead or alive, who would it be?
blackbear or juice wrld
13. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
Performing in front of as many people who wanna come see me :)
14. Can you tell us about your upcoming projects and future plans!
Yes! I have 3 new songs on the way right now :)
Thanks for tuning in to our interview with Payton! You can keep up with him on TikTok, Twitter, and Instagram! Go on.. they’re clickable!