Sound Off: Sam Valdez
May 16, 2020
Sam Valdez is the perfect combination of talent, expression, and art. With an angelic voice and the perfect tone, the singer has conquered our hearts with her new song “Toothache” – That we are glad to share with you now!
What is incredible about Sam is how she blends references of indie-rock, pop, and Americana in her songs, and creates the perfect and unique “Sam Valdez Aesthetic”.
Without further ado, we are pleased to share with you the interview with the singer and those beautiful photos of her in her home.
1. Tell us about “Toothache” and the inspiration behind it!
Toothache is about detaching yourself from emotional reliance on somebody else. It’s about facing yourself and moving on.
2. What message do you want to spread with your songs?
Each song is different; not always a message but more so an emotion.
3. How long have you been writing music and singing?
I’ve been writing and singing for 4 1/2 years now.
4. Can you tell us how is your creative process when writing a song?
I usually start with finding a chord progression on my tiny synth or guitar then I move onto melody which I usually end up changing a few times throughout the process. Lyrics usually take me a few days or even longer unless I have something already at the front of my mind that I really want to get out. I take long walks when I’m stuck which often helps me come to a conclusion.
5. All of your songs have a very indie style. Do you have a favorite indie band?
I love Mitski, Jay Som, King Krule, and so many more. There are a ton of amazing indie artists right now.
6. What is the best part of being a young artist nowadays? Is it hard to manage life & career?
The best part is getting to write music and play to people who genuinely connect with my songs. It’s such a cool feeling. I definitely struggle to find a good balance with everything sometimes but it’s worth it.
7. If you could work with any artist in the world, who will be?
I don’t think I could narrow it down to one person right now, but two artists I really look up to and would kill to work with would be Angel Olsen and Victoria Legrand.
8. Who is your musical inspiration?
I’m inspired by many different musicians ranging from classical composers to surf rock bands.
9. You play guitar and violin. When did you learn? Do you have another musical instrument you want to learn?
I started playing violin when I was 7 years old and guitar about 5 years ago. I would love to become a better piano player beyond the very basic chords that I know.
10. Define your fashion style in one word!
Ever-changing (and also vintage!)
11. Favorite thing about LA?
LA has so much art and so many talented people. I love being surrounded by that and constantly feel a drive from it.
12. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
It’s hard to say. I think the world has proved that we can plan all we want but change is inevitable. I’m going to write and play as much as I can is what I know for sure.
13. Do you have any upcoming projects or plans?
I’ll be putting out a few more singles and my first full-length record. I also can’t wait to be back on tour!
You can listen to “Toothache” here:
Oh, and don’t forget to follow Sam in all social media to keep in touch with all her projects on Instagram.